Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 37


From Peter Ver Ploeg:

Knowing we'd be spending the day in Manteo, waiting for the gale to pass, we slept in late, packed a lunch and thumbed a ride across the bridge from Roanoke Island to the Outer Banks and the town of Nags Head, NC to see the ocean and explore the sand dunes. The man who gave us a lift informed us that Nags Head gets its name from Blackbeard the Pirate and his crew who operated around these parts. As legend has it, they would lure ships in to the shoals during storms by leading a nag and cart with lanterns along the dune ridge. Ship captains would be tricked into believing they'd sighted land and the ships could be looted once the weather cleared. Nice. The next town up is called, "Kill Devil Hills" because the rum brewed there was said to be so bad it could kill the devil himself. Very nice.



We stopped in to the local kite, kayaking, and hang gliding shop to find out what was worth exploring. They advised us to protect our eyes. Right they were. Sand lifted off the dunes and hurtled at you by the wind at 55 mph hurts.




Wrapped in full Winter gear against the wind and sand, we strolled along the vast, deserted beaches collecting sea shells. We jumped and rolled down the dunes. We ate our lunches of beer and sandwiches, both dusted liberally with sand for texture. Then, wind burned, sun burned, cold, and sandy, we hitch hiked back across to Manteo to make sure the boat was still there. It was.





Storm surge flooding had closed most of Nags Head and downtown Manteo. The man who gave us a lift back told us this was the worst he'd seen it in at least a decade. Looks like we picked a good time to visit. We felt pretty clever to be striding along in our rubber galoshes (known locally as Wanchese Go-Go Boots because of that nearby town's propensity for flooding) but, when a truck drove by, the resulting wave was enough to go over the top of Pete's boots and fill them up. Now, I'm the only one who feels smart.




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BnW_6a8vEg

Check out Pete as he chases down his sun glasses.

2 comments:

  1. Check out days 37 (Outer Banks), 28 part 2 (Ice breaking in MD), and 13 Prop freeing in NJ) for links to Utube for a few videos we uploaded. Just copy and past the link into the URL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello To You Both Pete & Pete!
    I hope your trip is still as full of Energy, Drive & Crazed Enthusiasm as the day I picked you Both up Thumbing across from the Manteo Causeway. I really enjoyed meeting you both. You all fueled me with that spark I had let burn out a while back and that brings a smile to my face. I once taught sailing and wind surfing as a young adult and Hit the Open seas often. I see that People like you all can bring that energy and drive to a person like me who has settled in.
    I couldn't believe that no one had yet picked you all up that morning/afternoon! Glad I did. The Nags Head story/legend is said to be true as well. I felt my story was maybe a dash rusty as it was told to me long ago but talked with some Old Locals- That is the Legend as said.
    Any How- If you all head this way again please feel free to email me with a bit of notice so I can Make some Nice Grub for ya while in our Great area- The Outer Banks- And I will show you all More of this fine Beach as a Local sees it.
    Thank You all again- I was very down that day I picked you all up- I don't regret it a bit. Seems simple but some thing as short as a 5 minute ride can Make a world of difference to another.
    Safe Sailing- And Hope You All Brought some Kill Devils Rum for your adventures!
    Christopher Thibodeau
    duckmanjr@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete